Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Thick Line Between Buddy And Boss
02-07-2017, 08:59 AM,
Big Grin  The Thick Line Between Buddy And Boss
-- Allen T.

A: One reason I'm therefore qualified to disp...

Q: One-of my key personnel is giving trouble to me. He's started turning up late for work and has developed a negative attitude generally. The rest of my workers are complaining since they are needing to use up his slack. I've tried speaking to him, but he does not appear to hear. To make matters worse, he has become one of my close friends since I employed him five years ago, so firing him is going of the issue. Exactly what do I do?

-- Allen W.

A: One reason I am so qualified to dispense sage business guidance every week, Allen, is that I have made pretty much every business oversight imaginable. I'm like the Evel Knievel of the small business community, if Evel Knievel wrote a weekly column on bike safety.

One of many more unpleasant things I have had to do is fire a great friend who was not working I used him to do. He needed employment, I needed a worker, so I thought I'd give an attempt to him. I-t turned-out to be a match made in business hell. If you know anything at all, you will probably fancy to compare about partner sites. He took advantage of our friendship by spending some time goofing off as opposed to working, showing up late for work, and making a joke from my claims about his behavior. If you have an opinion about illness, you will certainly require to check up about gmail ftp. Due to our friendship I defended his actions to my other workers, but after a couple of weeks I knew I'd to show him the door. We are still friends, but definitely not like we were before.

The error I made was hiring a pal in the very first place. I allow sensation, i.e. the want to help my friend gain work, get in the way in which of my business sense. That is what you are doing now, Allen, and I dislike to be the bearer of bad news, but you're going to have to deal with this situation quickly or your whole operation may be affected by the actions of this one individual.

The blunder you've made is the fact that you have befriended an employee, which will be something you should not do. I'm not saying you can't be helpful with your employees, but you've attached a large amount of emotional baggage to the employer/employee relationship and the effect is the situation you are confronted with to-day.

Friends expect preferential treatment given that they are your friends. The workplace, however, has to be a level playing field for the employees, friends or not. While employees deserve your respect (when it is gained), providing one worker preferential treatment over another is never recommended. This is a problem experienced by many business owners and managers who allow themselves to become too near their staff.

I realize that you'd rather eat rocks than fireplace him and he is becoming your friend over the years, but you've to think about how his behavior is impacting your business over all. What effect is h-e having on worker morale, on work schedules, on customer relations, on time spent fixing his problems, and above all, the bottom-line?

You've two options: get him straight back on course or get him off the payroll, period. That may sound cold and politically incorrect, but those are your only choices. In any event, you must be his company first and friend second. He might have private reasons for his performance, but as you are legally limited as to how much prying you can do into his home life his company. As his friend, nevertheless, I expect that you already have a good idea what the problem is. If you can help him go back to being a productive member of the team, then do therefore. Visit ftp gmail to explore when to flirt with this hypothesis. If not, wish him well, let him go, and proceed.

Listed below are a few tips to help you establish and enforce the boundaries of the employer/employee relationship.

Determine the connection. Keep your seat, Dr. Phil, this will not take long. The employer/employee relationship ought to be well-defined from the outset and the boundaries understood by all parties. Some call it 'understanding the pecking order' or 'establishing the meals chain.' What-ever decorative term you use it all comes down to this: You can be their employer or you can be their buddy. It is possible to maybe not be both.

Do not retain friends or relatives. This principle is obviously elastic if you are the owner of the business enterprise and you hire your young ones to benefit you. Odds are your offspring already recognize you whilst the ultimate authority figure and controlling them in a business environment is second-nature. But, even this situation may have a negative effect on your company as non-related employees usually expect the boss' daughter, child, or best friend to work less, make more money, and be treated better than everyone. Whether that is true or not, cronyism and nepotism can create an underlying stress among the ranks.

Establish and abide by company policies. It is advisable to have published plans concerning every part of the business, including staff behavior and performance expectations. By it is quite nature the employer/employee relationship is vulnerable to favoritism. Executives can not help but prefer those employees who work longer, harder, and faster, but in regards to sticking with company policies, there ought to be no preferential treatment of preferred employees. Every employee should receive a copy of one's published business policies and sign a form saying they have read, comprehend, and agree with the same.

The Underside Line: treat everyone else the same. It doesn't matter if the worker is a vice president or even a janitor; everyone within your company should be treated the exact same when it comes to adhering to released company policies and performance expectations.

While it is true that a vice president might be of more importance for the company than a janitor, it is also true that a vice president who is running amok can do much more harm to your company than a janitor who allows a toilet back up every once in a-while (there is an example there that I will allow you to figure out by yourself).

It's perhaps not private, it is only business. This is exactly what the movie crooks tell each other before the shooting begins. 'Hey, Paulie, it is not particular. It is only business.' BLAM! BLAM! Here is the relationship equivalent of saying, 'It is maybe not you, it's me.' These kinds of claims are not planning to make anybody feel better if they are getting dumped or dismissed. Just ask any former employee or old lover you have used this point o-n.

For those who have to fire an employee - also a friend - take action by the book in a professional manner.

It'll perhaps not be easy, but you have to get rid of the feeling and do what is best for your business.

Here is to your success..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply